Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ashley's Baby Shower

Last weekend I went to NJ for my sister-in-law's (brother's wife) baby shower.  You might be thinking that it's the last thing a person who recently miscarried a baby would want to do.  I totally get that.  I can tell you that I didn't immediately awake from my D&C and say, "Hey, I can't wait to go to someone else's baby shower next weekend."  Not even close, but each day has been a little easier, and as the week following the miscarriage went by and I considered my options, I decided that I really did want to go to the shower. 

For one thing, I love traveling with my mom.  About once a year we seem to go somewhere together and we always have a good time.  I knew I'd have fun going with her and that she'd be there for me if I needed her too.



I also didn't want to have any regrets about not being there.  It's my brother's first child.  I wanted to be part of the celebration.  Also, my family is really spread out, so my mom and I were kind of it for representing our side.  I just felt in my heart and gut that I should be there and I'm glad I went.

So anyway, back to the shower!  Mark and Ashley are not finding out the sex of the baby.  They are going with a gender neutral jungle animal themed nursery.  The shower was also jungle/animal themed.


Cuuuuuuuuute :)

Check out all the presents!



Love diaper cakes... so creative!



And the cake!



My mom and I were amused by the baby picture of my brother on the cake table :)



He was a cute baby, but kind of a goof!



My mom was in charge of favors, and used me as a sounding board.  She had emailed me pictures and links of plain soaps, but I suggested doing jungle animal soaps, to go with the theme, and sent her a link to some that she ended up ordering.



They were a huge hit!  Like the elephant??

Ashley looked great at exactly 7 months pregnant.



We had some great food- salad, pasta salad, grilled veggie wraps, fruit (totally forgot to photograph it).

After eating, Ash opened her presents.
My mom's friend made her this adorable sweater.



They got tons of cool stuff.  Yes, I'm taking notes... :)  The good part about lots of people you know having kids before you?  They can tell you what stuff is actually useful or not.

After all the presents were opened and cake was eaten, reinforcements came to help collect all the gear.



Preppy, isn't he?

Sibs!



We snapped a couple pictures out on the patio of the country club where the shower was held.  The happy parents-to-be!



I'm excited for my brother and Ashley.  I know they will be great parents, and I expect them to teach me everything they know when it's my turn :)




1 comments:

Erin @ The Grass Skirt said...

Your brother looks very preppy. A true QU grad! :) I made a diaper cake for my friend once. Aren't they so cute? I'm so glad you're doing well. It was great to see you last night! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails