Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Kale Fail

I stopped at a grocery store on my way home to pick up a few things and decided it was about time I tried some of these Kale Chips everyone talks about in the blog world, so I picked up some kale.


I went to mothership, aka Kath's page, for her recipe and tutorial. 

I set the oven to about 365 (I read two recipes and one said 350, one said 375, so I split the difference).

First I rinsed the kale in my salad spinner.


Then I spread the kale on a cookie sheet and spritzed it with Olive Oil from my Misto.  This was my first time trying my new Misto.  Very cool :)

Then I dusted the kale with some kosher salt.
Into the oven it went.  I set the timer for about 12 minutes, which was less than advised (the recipe says 15 minutes), just in case.

Meanwhile, I made a Morningstar veggie burger on a sandwich thin with some guacamole, cheese, and a lettuce.

Well, it was a good thing I didn't let the chips go longer in the oven, because they were DONE at 12 minutes.

Everything together:

Ok, the kale may have been overcooked.  It basically dissolved in my mouth when I ate it.  It really had no definition, it was just fragile and wimpy.  Not at all potato chip texture.  Also, I think I over salted them.  I am usually not one to complain something is too salty, but this stuff was extremely salty.  Hmmm...  I still have more kale, so maybe I'll try this again, but the first go around was less than successful.

Any tips???

My evening finished with a meet-up with Cindi!  She lives right near me and we had only had a chance to meet once before at yoga so we really hadn't had a chance to talk.  I had suggested getting a drink and she invited me (and Clyde) over for some brews at her place.  We had a great time chatting.  We have a lot in common.  I see future hang outs in our future!  Thanks for having us Cindi!

Side note- I just found out that Clyde is the featured doggie on www.stuffonmywiener.com today!  If you are a dachshund lover, that site is hilarious!



5 comments:

Null said...

I don't get the big deal about kale chips either. I've made them a couple times and have been dissapointed. I was expecting a heartier texture, but they were like eating little puffs of super thin, salty tissue paper.

Brittney said...

Ok, that's EXACTLY how mine turned out! I wonder if that's how they're supposed to be??? I might try the whole "massaged kale" thing next and see if that's better!

Kendall said...

I like when my kale chips "melt" in my mouth, but I also liked burned things. Like burned popcorn - best thing ever. Maybe you should try cooking them at a lower heat for only 10 minutes?

Sarah said...

Hey I tried the kale chips, too and mine came out the same way. Maybe if you put them in the oven for a really long time on a low temp with the door ajar? Who knows!? I guess I am no help! HA!

Molly said...

I've never eaten, or made kale chips, so I'm not sure how to do them....but your plate sure looks pretty! : )

thanks for your comments about my marathon! I can't believe its over!

Related Posts with Thumbnails