Monday, August 31, 2009

Furloughed a year...


So Greg has been furloughed almost an entire year now. It was September of 2008 when he first got furloughed. This weekend he heard some "good news" that Continental is not going to furlough more pilots (well, probably not), and due to work rule changes that are expected to happen, he may get called back in or around March. He was VERY excited by all this news. It really just served to piss me off. Not that I want bad news like more furloughs or no possibility of getting called back, but I just worry that this gives him a lot of false hope to latch on to.
I was just saying to a friend the other day that to me the airlines are like this friend that wronged me. I'm just not too excited to go running back to them after what they put us through. I don't think I'll ever feel like I can get comfortable that our lives will be very stable ever as long as Greg is a pilot. The industry is so unstable and unpredictable. I do want him to fly again. I know he loves it. I just don't want to get all excited about it. Plus, nothing happens on the time line they predict. Just like the government. I don't think we should assume anything until the day he actually gets the call saying he's called back.
I also just worry that this will cause him to become lazy/laxed about really looking for another job, since he sees a so-called light at the end of the tunnel now. I think we still need to plan for the call-back not happening just in case.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails