Monday, January 16, 2012

Smalls Food and Spirits

Last Wednesday night, I attended the opening of a new Charlotte restaurant, Smalls Food and Spirits. I was invited to a friends and family preview at the new restaurant located in the Elizabeth neighborhood of Charlotte. 

We had a little trouble locating it, as the entrance is a bit hidden, but once inside, it felt like we were in kind of a modern lounge setting, with black walls and red and white accents.





They have a fun martini menu and also a list of North Carolina craft beers.  I started with a Mother Earth draft to kick off the night (served in a OMB pint glass).


Greg was actually able to come with me, so we decided to split a bunch of items.  We started with a Mulled Pear salad: Arugula, Butternut Crème Fraiche, Roasted Walnuts, Spiced Citrus Vinaigrette.



I loved this salad- one of the best I've had anywhere lately.  The butternut creme fraiche was actually inside the pear, and the pear was floating in a syrupy balsamic reduction that was delicious.

We opted to also split an order of onion rings, which were light, crispy, and delicious.




We also had the pimento cheese sliders.  I didn't really taste much of the cheese, but the beef and buns were yummy.  Apparently they grind meat and bake bread in house, which is cool.


Lastly, we went with some of the Whipped Garlic and Chili Infused Yukon Gold Potatoes at Greg's request.  He's a mashed potato nut.




Everything we had was good.  It took a little while for some items to make it to our table, but I figured for the test night that it was my job to be patient and cut them some slack so that they could effectively get themselves used to the flow.  They also gave us some complimentary fried pickles while we waited, which went unphotographed, but were great.  I'm hoping that they worked out the kinks and that the process will run smoothly for them from here on out. 


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails