Thursday, February 7, 2013

My Thirty-Sixth Week

I'm 37 weeks pregnant!  By all accounts I am considered full term now.  Wow!  I still have three weeks til my official due date, but I could go anytime and the baby would probably be pretty healthy.  I am a ticking time bomb now!



I have a cold right now, which is not great timing.  I somehow managed to avoid getting one most of the winter when everyone else around me was coughing and sneezing all over me, but now I have one out of nowhere.  Ick.  I have a sore throat, cough, and feel pretty wiped.  I really hope I kick it before going into labor, because I can't imagine the exhaustion of giving birth while sick, let alone the logistics of having a new born with a new immune system around a sick mama.  I'm home sick today to try and nurse myself back to health.

I'm definitely feeling all of 9 months pregnant now.  My standard responses when people ask how I'm feeling are, "Big!", and "Uncomfortable".  That pretty much sums up this stage.  I can see why pregnant women get antsy at the end.  It's definitely crossed my mind that it would be more comfortable for both me and the baby if she were outside my body soon.  I can't bend over without feeling like I'm squishing her and it's really tough to put socks and shoes on (especially sneakers).  Getting up from a chair or from bed is like an acrobatic feat now.  I'm also really sick of my maternity clothes and feel like a lot of them are tight and uncomfortable, which is funny because at one time, I was swimming in them!






I finally had my first "under the hood" appointment this week.  The baby's heart rate was 145.  My iron level was about 13 (I think you're supposed to be over 11, so that was good- must be the cheeseburgers!).  They had my weight at about 30 lbs gained (my scale still says it's higher, but I'll take it!).  As far as what's happening down under- I'm 75% effaced and my cervix is soft.  I don't think I'm dilated at all and she didn't say what station I was, but I know the baby is head down.  She wouldn't give me any predictions, but I'm guessing I still have some time til the baby is coming out.  I know that can change quickly though.  I think it would be good if she hangs out in there for a little longer based on our schedules and for her to get the benefit of being closer to 40 weeks.  Greg still has a bunch more flying scheduled this month, and if I go early, it'll push me back into July for when I have to go back to work, which isn't a huge deal, but wasn't really the original plan.  Anyway, I now get checked weekly, so I scheduled all my doctor appointments up til my due date.

Greg put the car seat in this week.  Well kind of.  Our car situation is not ideal for a baby.  Greg has a Honda Element, which I think it kind of a nightmare car for a baby because of the suicide doors and having to climb into the back seat.  I've been saying for a while that I didn't plan on using his car much with the baby because I have no desire to climb into the back every time I want to put the infant seat in, I want to just be able to open the back door and drop it in.  So, the plan has been that we'll primarily use my car for the car seat, which is an Acura TSX.  It turns out, the Acura isn't really ideal either.  It's slightly smaller for a sedan and Greg had a hard time getting the car seat to fit behind the front seats.  The only place it will fit is on the rear passenger side because we can move the front passenger seat up more.  I'm not even that tall (5' 3"), but my driver's seat is too far back to fit the car seat behind and it doesn't fit in the middle, which I know is supposed to be ideal.  We were both pretty frustrated about this.  I've been saying for a while that I think we're going to need a new car sooner than later, and the Element might become Greg's Houston car.  I think he's finally starting to agree with me and will see it even more once the baby is here and he sees the challenges that go with our cars and baby stuff.  I predict that my car will also be on the smaller side for hauling all the necessary baby gear around.  Once you put a stroller in the trunk, I don't think much else is going to fit in there.  I see an SUV in our future.

The Pack N Play and baby swing were also assembled by Greg this week and have taken up residence on our first floor.  The pack and play is Clyde approved.  He liked the cuddle cove/bassinet.







I also printed off and filled in most of the paperwork I need to add the baby to our health insurance.  I can't submit it til we know her birthdate and some last minute information, but I can leave it with our HR people and call with that when the baby comes so they can add her.

I had my second baby shower at work yesterday and was humbled and so grateful to everyone that came and all the stuff they got us.  My trunk was completely full of baby presents when I left work!




I'm still procrastinating a little on finishing packing for the hospital.  I have most of my stuff in or near the bag, but need to go through and make sure I have all the stuff I want to bring.  I will make myself do it this week! Greg needs to pack his bag too.


How far along? 37 Weeks
Maternity clothes? Yes, unfortunately.  I'm pretty much over all of them and looking forward to wearing more normal clothes again.
Stretch marks? Nope.
Symptoms: heartburn, movement, swelling in the feet/ankles, feeling huge, frequent urination, Braxton Hicks (hard belly).
Best moment this week:  Probably the doctor's appointment, hearing the heartbeat, and finally hearing what's going on down under.  Technically, the baby shower was in the 37th week and I'm late posting, but that was awesome too.
Miss Anything? Sleeping well, not having heartburn, running, having distinct ankles, having abs.
Movement: Yup, she is rolling around in there, but you can tell she has more limited room now.
Food cravings: Cheeseburgers (yup, the craving returned), then mostly sweets- cake, peanut butter brownies (I made some for a Super Bowl party and they were so good), fruit (my redeeming craving), animal crackers.


Pineapple coconut cake I got to go from Big View Diner on a date night with Greg.

Anything making you queasy or sick: nope
Have you started to show yet: Yes, duh. I feel extremely huge.
Gender: Girl
Labor Signs: Braxton Hicks, but it doesn't feel like labor or anything, just hard belly.  75% effaced, cervix is soft.
Belly Button in or out? It's out!
Mood: Good!
Looking forward to:  Meeting the baby of course!
What I am NOT looking forward to: Feeling heavier, more tired, and more uncomfortable in the coming weeks.  Kinda scared of labor, but I think I'll get through it.  I really hope Greg is home when I start labor too.
Weekly Wisdom: Um, hang in there?
Milestones: Weekly doctor's visits, "full-term" (37 weeks), counting days instead of weeks...



1 comments:

Tanya Kummerow said...

Mmmmm that cake looks amazing!

We are shopping for a new car now too. Even in our Jeep Liberty we have the same issue with the seats. If Alex isn't driving he has to sit in the back because he can't hardly fit in the front with the seat pulled all the way up for the car seat. We put our car seat in about 8 different models yesterday, and so far the Honda Accord is the winner. So much leg room! Nothing else worked! We don't want a second SUV so I think this is going to be our choice. What we learned though is that you really can make anything work, but comfort really is key!

Related Posts with Thumbnails