Monday, May 13, 2013

Thoughts on My First Mother's Day

Yesterday was my first Mother's Day.  Greg was away so it didn't involve a fancy breakfast, a big gift, or day spent all together (we are taking a family trip soon and I am getting a spa treatment, so he did give me something, in case you are wondering).  In fact it was the opposite- a pretty anti-climactic day consisting of a morning run, watching CBS this morning, a BLT for lunch, a trip to Wal-Mart, and many diapers changed.

But the enormity of the day didn't escape me.  I have wanted to be a mother all my life and here I am, finally living that dream.  I snuggled my baby a little more and a little longer yesterday.  I played a little longer on the floor with her.  I stared at her adorable face a little longer.  I smelled her baby head more than I usually do (which who knew was even possible).  I talked to her a lot, and told her how much I had wanted her and how much I loved her.  I sang stupid songs to her to make her smile even more.  I missed her while she was napping in the next room.

I just really basked in the knowledge that I have a daughter now, something I have wanted for so long.  I'm so happy that my struggles in trying to conceive ended with this specific baby.  I couldn't imagine loving a baby more.  She is amazing.  I wish that anyone still struggling will someday have this dream come true and know this happiness, and share with the rest of the mothers out there that know this amazing joy.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails