Sunday, June 17, 2012

Metro CrossFit

Wednesday night I went to a free CrossFit preview class at Metro Fitness in their new location.  Jen had sent out an email letting us know they had the classes going on this week and I thought it would be fun to mix up my workout, so I went on Wednesday night after work.  The last time I did a CrossFit class was when the original Metro location opened with a bunch of my blogger friends, so it's obviously been a while.




When I arrived, the gym was pretty empty and I was early for class, so I took the opportunity to get some pictures of the new gym, while checking out the equipment and layout.



Like Metro's other location, they have a big AstroTurf area.  There are also a line of treadmills and row machines, plus lots of other equipment.




By the time we got started, our group was quite huge.  We started our workout with a light jog out and back on the Astro Turf, then moving into high knees and butt kicks in different laps.  We also sashayed out and back and did like an inch-worm move to get our heart rates going.  Next we did some arm circles.

Once warmed up, we moved into a demo of each cross fit station.  Our WOD (workout of the day) was:
  • Bear crawls up and down the Astro Turf
  • Ball Slams
  • Barbell Snatches (I think that's what they're called)
  • Rowing machine
Because we had such a large group, we ended up just doing each station timed for a minute with 15 seconds to rotate in between, and a minute to rest/hydrate at the end of each round of four, which we did 3 or 4 times.


I thought the barbell exercises were the hardest.  I've actually been doing more strength training in the last couple months, so I think that helped me, but even still, I thought it was tough.


I liked the ball slams and the row machines the best.  I should do more row machine workouts.  Good times.

The work out was great.  I was sweaty, but actually not too sore the next day, which made me happy and feel like the strength training I've been doing lately is actually helping.  I'm not sure when my next CrossFit workout will be, but I definitely enjoyed this one.  Thanks for having me Metro!


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails