Friday, August 5, 2011

An Overnight At Home

Last weekend my husband called me to tell me they were "rolling" his days off, which was inevitably followed by a grown.  I've probably mentioned it before, but my husband is on a "reserve" schedule, which means that on the days he works, he's basically on call and doesn't know where he'll be flying to til the last minute when they call him.  The airlines keep a staff of pilots on reserve to fill in if someone calls in sick, gets stranded with a broken plane, or a variety of other scenarios where a trip might need a pilot to fill in.  So anyway, when on reserve, you still get scheduled days off and each month, some of those days off are moveable, meaning, they can decide to take them away and put them later in that week if they need a reserve pilot for a trip on the days off he/she was originally scheduled off.  Luckily, it doesn't happen that often, and he still gets blocks of days off that are not moveable. 

So anyway, we knew he wouldn't be coming home when he was originally supposed to be.  Or would he?  The next call I received went something like this:

Him:  Guess where I'm overnighting Sunday and Monday?

Me:  Mexico?  (He overnights there A LOT)

Him:  Nope.

Me:  Charlotte???

Him:  Yup! 

Me:  YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Greg actually got to fly a trip to Charlotte.  I think it's the first one he's had at Continental!  To make it even better?  It was a two night overnight with an entire day here with no flying.  Swwwwwweeeeet!  Dear Continental, you have my permission to roll Greg's days off anytime if you give him overnights in Charlotte when you do! 

The other funny thing about this was that Continental got him a hotel room, since technically he's based in Houston, and don't plan for a pilot to stay at their own house on an overnight in their non-base city.  While it would have been kind of fun to stay the night, it wasn't that realistic to do on a weeknight when I had work and also we have to think about Clyde.  Plus, Greg LOVES sleeping in his own bed, so I knew he'd want to come home when given the choice between a hotel and home.



Ok, here's something that's a little bit TMI.  Clyde is kind of a .....mood killer, if you catch my drift.  While trying to conceive, the other biggest challenge besides Greg's schedule, was trying to...  well you know, with our nine pound furbaby around.  Clyde wants to be involved in everything we're doing, and obviously he's not going to be involved when that's happening.  I immediately told Greg we should use the hotel for some alone time on Monday after I got out of work.  Hehe :)

Monday night I got home from work and we headed over to the area where the hotel was.  We decided to basically make a date night out of it and went to dinner at San Antonio's, a Tex-Mex place near the hotel.




I started of with a house margarita that came in a the biggest glass ever!  (Yes, I used this picture in my last post!)



And we had the obligatory chips and salsa.


My hot date!



I ordered a fajita combo with chicken and vegetables.  It. Was. Huge.




Seriously?  This probably fed me for about four meals this week.  I brought the leftovers for lunch to work twice!

After dinner, we had our alone time at the hotel.  I know hotel overnights are an every day thing for Greg, but I don't get away that much, so I found it kind of fun.  Plus I got to steal all the Aveda toiletries :)

So that was my Monday night date with my husband who was overnighting in his home city.  :)

7 comments:

Null said...

Oh, how fun! A free hotel stay and racking up some per diem during your alone time ;) Pretty nice deal!

So glad you got such a nice surprise. You definitley deserve it.

Amber said...

Yeay for overnights at "home!" :)

Katie H said...

Aw, how fun- I'm so glad he was able to take two nights at home! It must be stressful to have that kind of schedule (to never know when exactly you are working). I'm glad you guys had fun! :)

I definitely hear ya on the pup being a mood killer, lol. Bailey is too small to jump on the bed- most of the time he just does his own thing but when he starts whimpering it gets a bit distracting. haha.

Whirly Wife said...

Aww sounds fun. It is so true that when being married to a pilot the whole hotel looses it's charm to them but we still want to stay in them because it is fun. I am so glad you guys got to have a fun date night ;0)

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) said...

What a fun surprise!!! And I hear ya on the pup being a mood killer- Koda will just lay beside our bed and whine sometimes... creeps me out ;)

Joanna said...

my attitude about staying with DH at a hotel, is that I leave him with memories that will stick with him for a while, if your catch my drift. way to go! hubba hubba :)

Anonymous said...

Saved as being a favourite, I truly like your website!

Related Posts with Thumbnails