Wednesday, December 5, 2012

My Twenty-Seventh Week

I'm 28 weeks pregnant!  I'm also officially in the third trimester by all accounts.  Wow...

Self timer picture- not the best!

So the big news this week are the results of my follow-up ultrasound.  Back at my 19 week anatomy scan, there were a couple things found that needed to be rechecked.  The ultrasound showed that the baby had brain cysts (that the doctor thought would clear themselves out as the baby grew) and my placenta was blocking my cervix slightly.  Greg and I were very nervous about the brain cysts, despite hearing from a lot of people (thank you to those of you who reached out that also had this) that they cleared up and they went on to have healthy babies.  I'm happy to report that our baby is clear of cysts and my placenta has moved from blocking the cervix, making it possible for vaginal delivery!  Woo hoo!  The baby looked great!  She's still a girl, which my husband has been concerned about since his sister had one child that was wrongly proclaimed to be a girl that turned out to be a boy at birth (!?!).  Her heartbeat looked strong, and she weighed in at approximately 2 lbs 10 oz.

The glucose test went pretty good.  I had the fruit punch flavor of the glucola, and while I wouldn't voluntarily choose to drink it, I didn't think it was that terrible.  I easily finished in the allotted 5 minutes and didn't feel awful after like some people seem to.  My OB office told me to eat breakfast, which I know a lot of people are told not to.  They said to avoid something too sugary or carby, so I went with a breakfast of scrambled eggs with dill with melted havarti cheese and some water to drink.  I haven't heard the results yet, but I have a hunch I passed, since I didn't feel really awful or anything and they haven't called to tell me I failed.  I'm going with no news is good news.

I asked the midwife about my heartburn and indigestion and she said I'm carrying high and the baby is just pushing up on my esophagus, bothering it.  She recommended taking Zantac.  My strategy is just to take it only when I get these issues, since I still have a fair amount of days when I don't.  I've only taken it once so far and it worked well.  Tums still seem to work too.  A lot of the time I'll notice it when I get up for my 2am bathroom break in the middle of the night and I'll just take a Tums (I keep some on the nightstand), before I go back to sleep.

The baby is now moving a lot.  She is still not "kicking" tons, but she is moving almost all the time.  Sometimes I'll stop and think about it and then she'll suddenly start moving a lot.  I can also pull up my shirt and watch her move under my skin, which is really odd!  You can definitely feel her from outside a lot of the time now when she's moving under there.  I'm now satisfied with her amount of movement and have stopped worrying about whether I'm really feeling kicking or not.  I know she's rolling around in there and that's sufficient.

Photo credit - Lindsay

My family came to visit this weekend, including my 15 month old niece.  We had her sleep in the crib, and they used the changing pad/dresser, our new stroller, our convertible car seat, and my sister-in-law borrowed one of our diaper bags.  I know some people would feel weird about another baby trying out all their stuff before their own baby has used it, but I actually took comfort in seeing that the things we've chosen worked well with an actual baby.  My niece slept really well in our nursery, and my brother thinks our black out curtains do a really good job making it nice and dark in there for the baby to sleep.  I'm psyched for our baby girl to get here and try out all her stuff!

We did Christmas presents with my family and my family was really thoughtful, giving our baby so many gifts and she's not even here yet!  My mom got us our Ergo carrier and the more "manly" Juju Be diaper bag we registered for (I have a girlier one that I bought too). Both my mom and brother got the baby some really cute clothes.  Even a dachshund onesie!!  She's spoiled already!



I also took advantage of my brother and sister-in-law being here and asked them lots of new parent questions and observed a lot of their parenting.  I try to do this whenever I'm around people I know with babies now and soak up all the information I can.

The belly is pretty big now.  My brother was definitely really amused seeing me preggo.



My mom and I made Christmas cookies for us to nibble on all weekend, and I definitely had my share.  We also got pizza, donuts, and all kinds of other junky goodies.  The good news is we went for lots of walks.  Sunday we even went for a morning and afternoon walk, so I feel like I somewhat compensated some for the treat overload.  This morning I checked and I'm up to about 20 lbs weight gain now, which means lately I'm gaining like 2+ lbs a week, which I feel like is a lot compared to the first and most of the second trimester.  I honestly need to reign in my sweet tooth a little and probably step up my workout efforts, because I'd like to stay below 35 lbs gained, since my doctor recommends 25-35 lbs.  I'm not going to analyze it to death, but I do want to try to be more conscious of what/how much I'm eating and how much I'm working out.

How far along? 28 Weeks
Maternity clothes? Mostly maternity, except for cardigans and really big stuff.
Stretch marks? Nope.
Symptoms: heartburn, movement, tiredness
Best moment this week:  The great ultrasound we had.  Also, getting lots of cute baby stuff for Christmas was really touching.
Miss Anything? Running- my brother gave me new running sneakers for Christmas.  I wore them on our walks and can't wait to run in them!
Movement: Yup!
Food cravings: Christmas cookies.
Anything making you queasy or sick: Nothing this week.
Have you started to show yet: Yes, I've even been told that I'm huge.
Gender: Girl
Labor Signs: No, thank god!
Belly Button in or out? In, but it's pretty flat at this point.
Mood: Really happy.
Looking forward to: The maternity photo shoot this weekend!
What I am NOT looking forward to: Feeling heavier, more tired, and more uncomfortable in the coming weeks.
Weekly Wisdom: Stay calm, carry on.
Milestones: Third trimester!




0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails