Saturday, March 24, 2012

Another Hilton Head Adventure

Hi there!  I'm down in Hilton Head for another weekend of fun with the 'rents.  Greg is actually with me for the first time in I-don't-know-how-long.  We headed out yesterday afternoon on the 3ish hour drive from Charlotte. 

Cue pictures of Clyde and I in the car...






We arrived to my mom in a bathing suit telling us to hurry and change into our suits because my dad was up at the pool making sure plantation security didn't lock the pool so we could get a dip in before dinner.  Oh, and we were each handed one of my dad's signature margaritas (1/3 tequila, 1/3 fresh lime juice, 1/3 Cointreau + splash of OJ), which we drink out of water bottles while floating in noodle chairs in the pool.  You know, the usual routine.

After a quick float, we headed back to the house for dinner.  My mom made shrimp francaise, which is basically shrimp in egg wash/flour and sauteed.  Also, pizza (which I had a little slice of), and salad for all of us.



The other part of dinner was wine, that I brought.  A while back I stumbled upon the Weener's Leap Winery.  I don't even remember how I found it.  Probably googling dachshunds and wine.  Everyone does that, right?  Anyway, a winery that has a dachshund that looks just like mine??  YES.



Doesn't he??  That's Clams, not Clyde.  They could be brothers.

Weener's Leap is a boutique winery in Paso Robles, CA and they don't sell their wine in stores, at least not on this coast.  I contacted the owner and he said he'd send me a bottle of wine in exchange for a donation to a dachshund rescue league.  DONE.  He even threw in a poster of their wine labels.  Anyway, the wine (a nice Petite Syrah) sat in the wine rack for a while, waiting for a good chance to drink it.  We decided this was a good weekend to have it, since my parents are such wine nuts.



Everyone agreed, it was the best wine we've had in a while.  It was thoroughly enjoyed.  I might have to bug the owner for another bottle...

Today I got up and ran 3.25 miles around the plantation.  At times I felt slow, at times it felt great.  It was one of those mixed runs.  I enjoyed it though, because Hilton Head is still my favorite place to run.

Breakfast was just some fruit, yogurt, coffee, and some danish.  We kept it simple.  Then it was time for a walk on the beach to give the pup some exercise.



We lucked out and the weather was pretty nice.  Kinda cloudy, but pretty much the perfect temperature.  It's good we went went we did, because some big storms came through later in the afternoon.



Clyde likes the beach more and more every time he goes and has gotten much more adventurous going in the the water and running in the sand.  It's cute to see.

We came across a jelly fish that looked to be freshly washed up...



My mom wanted to find a way to throw him back in!



I guess this was not the jelly fish's lucky day though, since we are not jelly fish rescue people.

After our walk, we headed home, cleaned up, and got lunch at a local Mexican place.  We hit up a tour of homes going on in the area, did some outlet shopping, and had another float up at the pool.

Our last stop of the evening was at Red Fish for a nice dinner.

We had this wine.


Mmmmmm.

I had seared scallops with lobster mac and cheese and asparagus.  Amazing... 
(Excuse my crappy IPhone pic)



I can barely keep my eyes open, so I'm calling it a night.  More to come later on the rest of the weekend.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails