Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Crepes

Thank you for all of your positive comments on my 20 mile run!  I felt really accomplished getting it done, and I actually didn't feel all that sore yesterday, so I must be doing something right.

I spent all day yesterday at home with no plans and I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvved it!  Even though I was initially sad that we didn't end up going to Hilton Head, it was nice to be home and just hang out there with Greg and Clyde for the whole day.  Greg is leaving for training in Houston in just a couple weeks, so I need to appreciate what time we have together right now.

The day started off with coffee and then we all opened presents.  Clyde went first.

Oooooooh, what's in there?!


Yay, a squeaky Santa duck, red doggie, raw hides, and rings!


Yum, candy cane raw hide!


I LOVE this thing!




Greg and I alternated til we opened our presents.  He did very well with things for me:



I tried labeling, but it might be too small:
  • Shoe rack for my closet
  • Dachshund ornament
  • The Heart of The Matter, Emily Giffin
  • The Kind Diet, Alicia Silverstone
  • Immersion hand blender
  • XM Satellite Radio for my car
  • Yoga towel
  • Yoga mat bag
  • Allied Steel Runner Medal hanger
  • Necklace from Anthro
  • ITunes Gift Card
Oh and he got me this blown glass light for over our kitchen sink!


I LOVE it :)


Nice job Babe!!


I got Greg new pajama pants, a gray half zip sweater top, an IOU for this flight simulator software he wants that isn't out yet, a six pack of a new beer he hasn't tried, assorted hot sauce contiments (he loves that stuff), a new coffee maker for his apt, and a new electric razor. 

We both did very well.

After presents I wanted to make us something unique for Christmas breakfast.  I perused some of my cookbooks and found a cool recipe for crepes in The Moosewood Cookbook (probably my favorite cookbook that I stole from my mom).  I changed some ingredieants, so here is my version, adapted.

Cinnamon Apple Crepes

Crepes:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
2 eggs, plus 1 egg white
1 cup of evaporated milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Filling
1 cup of vanilla yogurt (I used Stoneyfield)
About 4 tablespoons of cream cheese.
1 teaspoon of lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 large peeled and grated apple
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.
For the crepes, sift together the dry ingredients, then blend with the wet ingredients with a mixer or in a blender for about 30 seconds, til mixed.



Heat a non stick skillet or crepe pan on medium high.  Grease pan slightly with spray.  Use about 1/4 cup batter and turn pan to get batter evenly spread out.  Use a rubber spatula and your fingers to carefully flip the crepe once bubbles form.  It'll only need to cook about 20 seconds or so on each side.  Stack crepes on a plate.




For filling, blend all ingedients in a food processor.


Take a shallow rectangular baking dish and spray with cooking spray.  Place a crepe in the dish and a few tablespoons of filling in it, then roll up.  Continue until all crepes and filling are used.  Bake covered for about 15 minutes.  I actually uncovered mine at the end and broiled them for about 30 seconds to get them a tiny bit brown, but be careful if you do this because crepes are delicate and WILL burn!



I drizzled them with maple syrup.






They were SO GOOD.  Do make them.  Please.

Eaten while watching a classic...




How was your Christmas morning??

2 comments:

Jen said...

I have never made crepes at home but Brandon has asked me to many times. These look awesome - maybe I'll have to finally get brave enough to try making them! :)

Looks like you guys had a great Christmas with just the two of you!

Cassie said...

I love my immersion hand blender! What are you thinking about using yours for?

I love my Sirius, if I may recommend, Cosmo Radio Sirius Channel 111 is awesome, it's talk radio, but it's hilarious and all about girl things. My radio dial hardly ever moves from the channel!

Related Posts with Thumbnails