Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving/holiday mood

I'm in a great mood today. We get out of work 2 hours early this afternoon for Thanksgiving, so that is AWESOME!!!
My parents are coming to my house for Thanksgiving tomorrow. I'm taking leave on Friday too, so I can be off to hang out with them (ie go to Total Wine and buy mass quantities of wine). My parents are driving up tomorrow morning and then we're having the dinner at like 6ish I think, since Greg works til 3pm. That gives my mom and I all afternoon to whip up the meal.

The Christmas music flood gates are now open for me. I waited til this week, but now I feel like it's time. Last year I spent a while creating my ultimate Christmas playlist of my favorites. It is as follows:

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas- James Taylor
Christmas Time is Here- Sarah McLachlan with Diana Krall
Mistletoe- Colbie Caillat
The Christmas Song- Michael Buble
Oh Christmas Tree/Peanuts Christmas- Vince Guaraldi
Little Saint Nick- The Beach Boys
Have a Holly Jolly Christmas- Burl Ives
Hula Hoop- Alvin and the Chipmunks
Chuanaka Song- Adam Sandler
12 Days of Christmas- The Muppets
Last Christmas- Wham
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas- Sarah McLachlan
All I Want for Christmas is You- Mariah Carey
Wintersong- Sarah McLachlan
I'll Be Home for Christmas- Michael Buble
Dream On- Kelly Sweet (not really a Christmas song, but I first heard it before Christmas last year, and it sounds like a Christmas song the way she sings it, so it made the list. If you haven't heard it, check it out, she has an amazing voice).
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas- Coldplay
Last Christmas- Taylor Swift

In case you can't tell, my favorite Christmas song is "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", so I have 3 different versions. I also love the Ernie and Bert version from "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street", a movie my mom and I like to watch at Christmas, cheesy and kid-like, but classic. Only problem is that we only have it on VHS and need to convert it to DVD, so it's been a couple years since we've watched it.
I'm all for not rushing a holiday (I do realize that Halloween and most of November is early to get in the mood for Christmas), but the week of Thanksgiving I start getting into a general Thanksgiving/Christmas/family/holiday type mood, so I think it's appropriate to start listening to the Christmas tunage around this time.

Tonight I'm going to do a run uptown with Gibson after work in preparation of the mass quantities of food I'm going to consume in the next couple days. After that I will go home and clean and prep for this weekend.

Greg and I did a grocery and errand trip last night. We went on a search for batteries for our cordless phones as they will only hold a charge for like 5 minutes lately and it's driving us both nuts. We went to Lowe's first because it's the closest to our house. They didn't have them. Greg is funny, he gets very upset every time we go to Lowe's about the fact that they have no less than 12 Handicapped parking spaces in front of every Lowe's. "How many handicapped people are actually doing home improvement projects??" he laments every time and, "Have you EVER actually seen a handicapped person at Lowe's??" He just doesn't understand the logic. I try to reassure him that it's going to be alright and that it's probably a requirement/code thing that every store have that. It's funny. Anyway, Lowe's didn't have the the batteries, but we located some at Radio Shack, where we also discovered that they cost $18 a set and we need 4 sets. Therefore it's probably going to be cheaper to just buy new cordless phones. Good times. We then got all the necessary odds and ends for Thanksgiving at Harris Teeter.
Looking forward to this weekend- should be fun! Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Great playlist! The one I made last week has a lot of the same songs. Question is, where is your "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" by Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLachlan? I listen to that one all year.

Brittney said...

Thanks for the recommendation Nicole! I haven't heard that version, but I'll check it out. I like BNL and Sarah McLachlan, so I may have to add that to the list!

Related Posts with Thumbnails