Monday, February 7, 2011

The Super Bowl Was On??

Sunday morning I awoke bright and early for my yoga date with Jen. 
Before yoga, I had this parfait of cherry vanilla yogurt, strawberries, blueberries, and Mueslix. 


And a piece of cinnamon raisin toast with Earth Balance and cinnamon sprinkled on top.


Jen and I did a hot class at OM.  It was a great way to start the day and we also went to Starbucks after for some coffee and conversation.  

Sunday afternoon was spent prepping my dish for a super bowl pot luck: Vegetarian Chili.

The goods:


Here's what I used:
  • One large onion (or two medium), chopped into small pieces.
  • Two large carrots, chopped finely
  • One huge red bell pepper, chopped
  • One small can of green chilies
  • 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
  • Probably about a cup and a half to two cups of veggie stock
  • One can of fire roasted tomatoes
  • One can of diced tomatoes
  • Three teaspoons of cumin
  • Two teaspoons of chili powder (can use more if you want more heat)
  • Two cans of black beans
  • Two Tablespoons chipotle salsa
  • Two cans of red kidney beans (I used one dark, one light)
Optional toppings: avocado, cheddar, plain yogurt, cilantro.

Directions: 
 Coat bottom of large pot with oil and heat to medium high.  Add onion, carrot, green chilies, and peppers and stir til softened (a few minutes).  Add cumin and chili powder along with veggie stock and salsa. and continue to stir and cook.  Add tomatoes (with juice).  Simmer about 20-25 minutes on low.  Rinse all your canned beans and drain, then add them to the pot and continue to simmer it and stir for about 20 more minutes to let the flavors meld together.  That's it!


Off I went to Caitlin's for a Super Bowl Party!


Jen, Cindi, Caitlin, and Kelly (with Allison in the background).


Caitlin made the event dog friendly, which resulted in there being six dogs loose in Caitlin's house!  Looking to add to the excitement of your party??  Add dogs!






They all kept us very entertained!

Dinner rocked!  We did a pot luck style super bowl feast which spanned two tables and included chips, dips, nut pate, veggies, chili, twice baked potatoes, and desserts.




My plate:


Delish!  I also had one of the twins cookie dough balls and Kelly's PB coconut bars, which rocked!

Caitlin and Nicole planned an alternative to football watching: crafting homemade Valentines. 




It got intense for some who are crafty.  I have embraced the fact that I'm not artistic. 


And here is my tacky masterpiece:


Yikes right?

I have to admit, I saw very little of the actual Super Bowl.  I was at this party for social reasons and definitely had a fabulous time being social, eating, and crafting! 

7 comments:

Carly said...

Love your Valentine. You're like me though - it has to be symmetrical. :-)

Kristina @ spabettie said...

of course I LOVE that THREE of the six pups were DACHSHUND !! :) Basil wishes he could have joined the Long Dog Party! :)

Amanda said...

I love the card making, but I really love the fact that all of the dogs went! I wish my friends here let me bring Reddick over to their house!!

Pure2raw Twins said...

Love your Valentine day card, so cute. It was great to see you again last night too! We will have to do it again sometime, and we did not really see much football either, but that is ok :) friends and food much more important right, haha

Allison @ Happy Tales said...

Wahhhh I had so much fun last night meeting you and all of the other girls (and pups!) We seriously need to make sure this happens again :)

PS. Your chili was AMAZING!

K. Elizabeth @ YUMMommy said...

I didn't watch the Super Bowl at all. I'm a Patriots fan and didn't see the point in watching 2 teams I cared nothing about duke it out. So, Moo and I snuggled up and watched Nick Jr. I did cook a spread of wings, pigs in a blanket, chips & spinach dip for the hubby to enjoy tho.

Ashley said...

I love football, so I watched most of the super bowl... but I think I would have been easily distracted (in a good way) by all of those dogs at the party. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails