Thursday, February 3, 2011

Two For One

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey everyone!  I'm so glad it's Thursday.  I really am looking forward to the weekend, and also, my husband is coming home tonight!  It's only for one night, but hey, I'll take it.  Today you get two nights of updates for the price of one.  ;)

To back up a little, Tuesday night involved watching the Vegan episode of Oprah, and having a meat-free dinner myself. 






I had a Trader Joe's vegetable masala burger over a salad with romaine, mushrooms, tomato, spinach and vinaigrette.  This was my first time trying one of these burgers (heard about them from Emily) and I liked it, but I'm kind of baffled about how to eat it as a regular burger.  Should I put cheese on it?  Ketchup?  Not really sure what goes with the Indian type flavors.  I'm thinking maybe a mix of plain yogurt/lemon juice/dill would be good with lettuce and tomato...  Anyway, that's why the burger ended up on a salad that night.

So back to that Vegan episode of Oprah.  Here's the short version of what I think.  I think that a lot of healthy living/food bloggers were really disappointed in the episode from what I've seen around Twitter and some blogs.  People accurately pointed out that the episode did not really talk a lot about the great Vegan recipes and healthy whole foods many Vegans eat in their diet (hello, tons of fresh vegetables!), and focused more on meat alternatives available.  BUT, I would like to point out that Oprah's typical viewer is probably the average American that eats lots of meat and a total diet overhaul might seem scary and foreign to them.  It might make more sense for someone who eats tons meaty burgers to try the veggie burgers or veggie hot dogs before diving into full blown vegan recipes that might be really weird to them.  I think that introducing someone with heavy meat tenancies to meat alternatives is a great place to start and if they want to move into cooking more vegan/vegetarian cuisine from there, than great.  Baby steps.  Just my two cents.

I had a pretty icky migraine on Tuesday night.  Work has been nuts lately and I think the stress finally got to me.  I had a mug of this Stress Relief Yogi tea and headed to bed.  I didn't love the taste of it (I do love the flavor of the Yogi echinacea tea), but it was okay and did seem to calm me.



Last night I headed home and walked Clyde, then fixed a super quick meal since I was going to a 7pm yoga class.  I wanted something kind of light, so I had veggie soup and half a grilled cheese sandwich.  I actually took a can of Progresso soup and added additional peas and some chick peas to kind of beef it up.  The soup was kind of meh.  My homemade soups are far superior, but with the time crunch it did the job.  I did take pride in the fact that my grilled cheese came out perfectly golden.  Don't you just love that?








Right before I left for yoga, the doorbell rang, thus prompting Clyde to go nuts as per usual.  UPS delivered a big box from Proflowers!  It turns out it was flowers from my in-laws!  They wanted to congratulate me on the marathon and thank me for being such a good wife to their son with all the stress of his career and everything.  Awwwwww....heart melts :) 

I love tulips!  Aren't they gorgeous??


Yoga was great last night.  OM is not as hot in the studio as Y2, but I kind of like that.  I felt like I still had a great class, but didn't need to be dripping with sweat to feel it.  I actually did sweat, but just wasn't drenched the way I used to be at the Y2 classes.  Also, I'm happy to report that I did a much better job going into the Yoga "zone" during class last night.  I stayed pretty focused and tried to quiet the ever turning hamster wheel in my head.  It went well!

Well, that pretty much sums up the last couple nights for me. You guys ready for the weekend??

13 comments:

Jen said...

I had a TJ's Masala Burger for lunch yesterday. I actually ate it like a burger (it's in my latest post) and it was delicious.

I love your idea of the yogurt sauce though. Yum!

The flowers are beeeeaaauuutiful! Enjoy your time with Greg!

Amanda said...

I LOVE those burgers. I have them with a sandwich thin, some lettuce and a little of my ketchup/mayo (obsession) of a sauce. The other day I threw some avocado on it, too (Not so awesome...) and used a bigger roll, but I think I prefer the sandwich thin so I get all the flavors out of the burger.

Anonymous said...

When I have the masala burger I put it on some sandwich thins, throw on a few mushrooms, some provolone cheese and some of TJ's bbq sauce. Amazing!

Great recap of the vegan episode. You summed up exactly what I thought of it too!

Carly said...

What beautiful flowers and what a sweet gesture!
And I now want to go eat a grilled cheese. haha....

Molly said...

lovely flowers! I always burn grilled cheese, I think because I'm too impatient for it to melt! Have fun with your Hubs!

Alaina said...

Beautiful flowers!!

Have a great night with Greg! And I agree with the posts above; I definitely want a grilled cheese sandwich now. :-P

Brittany @ A Healthy Slice of Life said...

YAY the hubby is home tonight... WAHOO!!!! ;)

And those tulips are gorgeous... how sweet of your inlaws!!

alison said...

I tried that stress relief tea too and ended up throwing it out. I love the bedtime blend though...
I'm sorry I missed that vegan episode. I've been trying to order vegitarian dishes when I go out to restaurants because I feel like I dont get enough veggies at home. I hope you have a fun weekend! We are getting new furniture delivered..woo hoo!

brittfit said...

I am ALWAYS ready for the weekend. haha

Lizzy said...

Beautiful flowers!! What sweet in-laws.

I totally agree with what you wrote on the vegan episode. The healthy living blog world forgets about the average people out there who don't know much about healthy food. I went to a cooking class at work and I was amazed by how much people don't know- even people I work with. I think it was a good way to get people interested in the idea of veganism but it would be nice if they had another episode focusing more on fruits and vegetables and maybe CSAs?!?

Ashley said...

How nice of your in-laws to send those beautiful flowers! Way to be a great pilot's wife. :) we just heard that Delta's has delayed their supposed hiring... it can be so stinkin discouraging!

We eat a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches around here, but what kind of bread is that? It looks really thick and yummy.

Danielle said...

Hi there- I just wanted to say I really enjoy reading your blog! It's nice to meet a fellow Charlotte-runner!

Jen said...

Ha I find it very ironic that we both got flowers the same night! So sweet of your inlaws. And now I want grilled cheese. Mine never looks that pretty.

Related Posts with Thumbnails