Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Running Around on Labor Day

I started my Labor Day Monday right with a bowl of peanut butter and banana oatmeal as pre-run fuel.
In the bowl was 1/3 cup oats
1/2 cup almond milk
splash of milk
a cut up banana
a tablespoon of peanut butter

microwaved about 2 minutes

Then it was off to Dilworth for a run with Kelly and Cassie.  We did 6 miles in a route mapped by Kelly through really pretty neighborhoods.  I need to run in that area more!  Plus the weather was awesome! 

Post run, we hit up the local Starbucks where I excitedly ordered my first Pumpkin Spice Latte of the year!

While at the window to pick it up, the barista asked me if I'd like a free Venti Vanilla Latte, which is the drink I usually order, so I said "sure!" thinking I'd use it for iced coffee later or something.  I grabbed both drinks and walked to the area with the sleeves and napkins.  Somewhere along the way I DUMPED almost the entire Vanilla Latte!  Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaah.  I'm a klutz, have a mentioned that before??
I want to blame the top not being on right, but I think it was actually my klutziness...

Anyway, the three of us had a great time.  I love running with buddies :)

My labor day wasn't entirely labor-less as the day intended it to be.  After running I ended up going into work for a bit after I received a phone call that I was needed at the office.  Kind of sad  to work on a holiday, but it was actually a pretty productive hour and half and since my run finished nearby work, it wasn't a big deal to head over for a bit before going home. 

Once home I had some nachos (you've seen these before!)
Tortilla chips
Spinach
black beans
salsa
cheddar
a dollop of plain yogurt


The rest of my day was pretty leisurely.  I ran some errands, including buying a new pair of headphones.   The day of my half marathon, near tragedy struck when I snapped my headphones.  I taped them with sports tape to get me through the race, and actually have left them that way ever since.  I decided it looks kind of stupid and I should probably get a nice new pair now that I'm back training for my next half marathon.  I really wanted ones similar to my old ones- the over the head style, because I know ear buds don't stay in well for me, and the over-the-back-of-the-ear style looks like it would get uncomfortable for me.  I had a hard time finding some I liked, but finally went with a pair of Sony's that looked similar to my old pair.

(taped old pair on the left, new on the right)

Later, I made some Maple Glazed Carrots and some Kashi 7 Grain pilaf, which I have to say, I haven't been a fan of.  I've had a big box for a while that it's taken me forever to go through, and I've used it for various recipes, like stuffed peppers, mexican, etc...  No matter what I've done to that rice, it just doesn't have much flavor!  I know it's good for me, but it's bland :(  My strategy last night was to toast some almonds and add them, some veggie stock, and some butter to the pilaf to see if I could get buttery almond flavor.  Not so much... 
However, the maple glazed carrots rocked!
Oh well, you can't win em all...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm craving nachos now...and it's 7am! I love making glazed carrots - its a nice reminder of Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner without having to do all that work.

Related Posts with Thumbnails