Monday, August 30, 2010

Running Towards a Goal

Today I started with a bowl of blueberry oatmeal.
I used left over steel cut oats with blueberries, some Cinnamon Vanilla Sunflower butter, almond milk, and a little Agave.  I love having some left over oatmeal in the fridge, it makes weekday morning breakfasts easy.

So I'm little dazed about signing up for another half-marathon last night!  I had originally planned to take it slow getting back into running after my knee injury and was planning to see how things went before I committed to anything.  But the truth is, I'm totally itching to get back into training mode, and have been for months now.  Running has become a big part of my life.  I am longing for that long distance high again that I had with my first half marathon.  I'm going to the half marathon I signed up for with Kelly, which is the big reason I signed up last night.  She brought up this race a while back, and I've been tossing the idea around for a while.  Last night she mentioned the race again, and this time, without over thinking it, I just decided to go for it.  Before I knew it, I was all registered.  Yikes!! 
I have 11 weeks til the race, which is a lot more than I had when I trained for my first half marathon (about 6 weeks).  Although, with that one, I was regularly running 5-6 miles when I started training, so I didn't have quite as far to go.
I plotted out a training plan on Runner's World Smart Coach today.  I'm excited to get started!

I thought all day about going for a long run tonight.  The weather is hotter again this week, but my plan was to wait til about 7pm and go then in hopes that it would be a little cooler.
Once home, I decided to make a batch of roasted red pepper hummus while I was killing time.  I used the same basic recipe as the link, except, I couldn't open a giant jar of artichoke hearts I have from Costco. After about 5 minutes I gave up and made the hummus minus artichoke hearts :(

I had a couple bites with some plain pita chips.  Still yummy, but it's better with the artichoke hearts, in my opinion!

 I walked the pup, came back to drop him off, and headed out for my run.  I've been saying for a while, that I never know my exact mileage, because I'm without a Garmin Forerunner.  I've also had two Amazon credits to use towards one (I dumped a huge container of change into a Coinstar and got credits :), but have been waiting til I knew I was good to go with my knee before taking the plunge and making the purchase.  I think I ran between 4 and 5 miles, but don't know for sure.  It felt good :)
When I got home from my run, I grabbed my credits, immediately went on Amazon.com, and ordered a Garmin Forerunner 305.
I feel like I can't really train for another half marathon without this.  Last time I was lucky to have Jen and numerous friends with Garmins run with me a lot and keep track of mileage for me.  Most of my friends are running their own big races this fall and I think I'm going to be on my own a lot more for this race.  I need to know how far I'm going, and if I want to work on speed at some point I will need this.
I'm pretty excited, this is some big stuff happening right here!

After ordering my Garmin, I whipped up a quick dinner.  I'm the queen of turning one leftover thing into something else.  I used the last of my mexican soup as a topping to make a mexican pizza with on a tortilla.  I added spinach and cheese and baked it in my toaster oven. 

Admittedly, this was a little bit of a FAIL.  I didn't spray my foil with non-stick spray, so my tortilla stuck to it, and I basically had to dump the thing upside down to get it off the foil.  I did a pretty good job salvaging it and topped it off with some cilantro.  It tasted good, and that's all that counts, right?

Off to dream sweet dreams of a smooth half-marathon...


9 comments:

Jen said...

I'm so excited for your race! I think the best races come out of no where. The one I'm doing in Oct., I registered for 10 min. after finding it. Sometimes, it just makes sense. The garmin will definitely help - especially if you're a data person. Mine has turned me into such a geek and I love it. :)

Sana said...

I am not even a "runner" and never run without my Garmin. You will fall in loveee!

Jen said...

You're going to LOVE your Garmin. It has been such a wonderful training tool for me this go round.

Way to go on your run last night and I'm so excited that you've committed to running another half! You'll be awesome! :)

Now...we need to start planning more group runs!

Brittney said...

Yay! Thanks for the encouragement everyone, and I can't wait to get my hands on my Garmin!
Jen- I'm definitely up for some runs together. Let me know when you have time!

Kelly said...

My Garmin is officially broken and now I'm trying to talk Brad into getting another one :/

Jen said...

Yay for the half! Isn't it weird how we can be so implusive when it comes to races? I know I am ;)

And I can't believe you finally got a Garmin! I promise this is one investment you will not regret. And it will make you fast!

Kristina @ spabettie said...

YAY ! :) I've heard great things about the garmin... I'm also making sure I can actually run before I get one... still working on it...

I saw cutie Clyde on TWO blogs tonight!! :)

(Caitlin and Emily talkin fro yo...) :) popular Pup!

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous of your Garmin. I've been wanting to get one also...I need to take the plunge!

Kathy said...

For anyone without a Garmin (like me) . . . I am addicted to "mapmyrun.com" It is awesome. With that and a watch, training is a cinch!

Related Posts with Thumbnails