Sunday, October 17, 2010

Cookie Comparison

My dad's favorite cookies ever are these spice cookies my grandma used to make him.  It's a recipe my mom included in my family cookbook. 


I like to make these cookies for my dad on occcasion when I come visit, so Friday night I decided to bake him some since I was going to see him this weekend.

The recipe calls for Crisco, which the idea of is grossing me out more and more these days now that my diet is somewhat cleaner.  I decided to give the recipe a try with butter, but wanted to it both ways, so I made a batch with butter and a batch with Crisco.
On the left is the butter batch and on the right is the Crisco.

Here's the first batch- Butter.


Next up, the Crisco batch:




They were similar but the Crisco batch was darker looking and a little chewier, while the butter version was sort of lighter and fluffier.
(Butter on left, Crisco on right)


Both actually tasted good, I wouldn't say one was better than the other.  The Crisco version was almost more caramelized tasting.  I liked both though.

They were also Clyde approved (he tried a sample).  Clyde got his Snuggie out because it was cooler out on Friday night.  He hung out in it for a couple hours without tearing it off.




1 comments:

Kristina @ spabettie said...

I feel the same way about crisco... I've never purchased it. :D my pie crusts turn out awesome with butter... I'll stick with it!

Clyde looks great in his snuggie... Basil has been sporting the sweaters lately...

Related Posts with Thumbnails