Monday, October 11, 2010

Just Right

First on my Sunday morning agenda was a run at the trail with Michelle.  I went back and forth all week about what distance to do this weekend because going by my half marathon training plan, this is more of a cut back week, but in the back of my mind, I wondered if I should do more in case I decide to run a marathon.  I decided 6 miles was a good distance.  Not too short, not too long, just right.

We completed all 6 miles in a 1:03:02. 
Check out how consistent we were!  I actually laughed when I looked at the Garmin.

Mile 1- 10:23
Mile 2- 10:28
Mile 3- 10:26
Mile 4- 10:22
Mile 5-10:24
Mile 6-10:54

Run complete, I hit the grocery store on my way home, then made Greg and I breakfast.  We had a family favorite: Puff-puff pancake with apples!


This is another recipe from my mom's homemade cookbook.  It's VERY easy.
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.

Just mix 2 eggs, 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup milk.
Then melt about 3 Tablespoons of butter in an iron skillet (Paula Deen would be proud!)
Dump the batter in, then place in the oven for about 15 minutes til puffy and brown.



For topping, we like "baked apples".  I just peeled and cut up a HUGE apple from the apple picking trip.


Sprinkled with cinnamon and microwaved about 4 minutes.  Use the baked apples and maple syrup to top your puff-puff pancake.

Then we got ready to go to our friends' daughter's First Birthday Party.  It was a pig theme, so we planned accordingly.


I opted not to bring a camera to the party since we're not relatives and didn't want to be the weird creepy friend taking pictures at someone else's kid's party!

I was definitely in a sugar coma by the end of the afternoon. 
Katie made cupcakes (with piggie faces) and homemade ice cream.

After the party, Greg and I decided to go check out a trail that we haven't been to before to walk off our afternoon indulgences.  Clyde was excited too.




The trail is right along the Catawba River, and there's little dirt access points off the main paved trail.


Clyde explored the shore near the water.



We walked a little over 2 miles out and back.  The trail was pretty cool.  I might run there sometime!

We had a late dinner of mushroom rissotto and roasted butternut squash.
I just cut up half a squash and tossed in some olive oil, salt, and cinnamon, and baked on 400 for about 20 minutes.


I like making rissotto from scratch, but I had a box from Trader Joe's, so I used that this time.


The boxed version was ok, but honestly, it's about just as much work to make the boxed version as it is to make rissotto from scratch and the from scratch version is SO much better.  You still have to gradually stir in the liquid with the boxed version, and the spice packet in the box was a little strong for me, kinda like Rice A Roni.  I'll stick with homemade rissotto from now on.

Together:


The butternut squash was DELICIOUS!  I'll be making more of that.

1 comments:

Kristina @ spabettie said...

I love the shadow photo - even little Clyde has a shadow! :)

I LOVE those kind of pancakes... I haven't made one in so long!

Related Posts with Thumbnails