Friday, October 8, 2010

Tummy Trouble

Yay, we made it to Friday!

So according to my half marathon training plan, this is sort of a taper week for me.  Crazy me has this nagging thought in the back of my head that I might try and run a full marathon after this half marathon though, so I don't want to let my mileage lax too much this week.  I've actually played with full marathon training plans on Runners World Smart Coach, and this probably wouldn't be a taper week if I were training for a full marathon right now, so I'm kind of on the fence about how to handle this week.

I also had to fit my runs in around other things going on.

Here's how my running week broke down:

Monday night I did 3.25 miles in 31:04.
Mile 1- 9:37
Mile 2-9:21
Mile 3-9:52
.25 mile- 2:14

I didn't run Tuesday, I just took a brisk walk with Clyde around the neighborhood.

Wednesday
I had plans to meet some of my bloggie friends for dinner, but was thinking maybe I should get a really short/quick run in.
I put on my gear and planned to run 2 miles or run for 20 minutes, which ever came first.
I did 2 miles in 19:05.
The only problem was, during the run I started to have stomach issues.  It was good thing this was a short run, because I headed back to the house and needed some time to recoup.  My stomach was all bloated and weird.  I have no idea what the issue was.  I'm not sure if it was something I ate or what?  I kind of have an iron stomach and can usually eat almost anything without major issues.  I even found myself Googling stomach issues to see if I could "diagnose" myself (Hey, maybe I have appendicitis, I don't know!?).  I took a Tums, then took a shower and waited, and then realized it was not much better and the thought of going out to meet my friends to eat, was not sounding appealing at all.  Well, their company sounded appealing, but I didn't know what or if I would eat.
So, I stayed in.

Later I decided I should try and eat, but nothing sounded that good.  I ended up going with a microwaved sweet potato, smashed with a little butter, cinnamon, and maple syrup.
Heck if I know if this was the appropriate food for stomach trouble, but it was quick and easy.
I had a coconut popsicle for dessert.


I went to bed feeling ok, but not great.

Yesterday I seemed pretty much back to normal.
I had some yogurt for breakfast in case the probiotics in the yogurt might help me:

Stonyfield cherry vanilla, walnuts, strawberries, and some kashi cereal on top.

Then after work, Michelle and I decided to run.  She came to my area and we went from my house.  About 2 miles in on our run, my stomach flip flopped again and suddenly I kind of needed a bathroom.  I ducked into our local YMCA and used theirs.  After my break, I was pretty much good to go and we ended up completing 5.5 miles in 58:19.

Mile1- 10:32
Mile 2- 10:17
Mile 3- 10:14
Mile 4- 10:39
Mile 5- 11:21
.5- 5:15

Aside from my need for the pit stop at the Y, the run was pretty good, but it worries me this happened to me two days in a row on runs now!  What's going on with my tummy!!??

At least last night it passed and I was able to eat a more normal dinner.
I had a chik'n (not real chicken) patty with sauce and cheese, and sauteed spinach and garlic.


I also had a banana soft serve blend for dessert:

Into my mini chop I put:
1 frozen banana
about a teaspoon of coconut butter
a tablespoon of Hershey's chocolate sauce
splash of soy milk

Topped with shredded coconut and a Dark Chocolate Adora disk.

I'm hoping this is just a fluke and that my tummy issues on runs are over.  Have you guys experienced this issue?

I'm still debating whether to do a long run this weekend or not.  If I'm tapering, I'll probably only do like 4-5 miles one day.  If not, I may do between 8-10.  I can't decide... 




4 comments:

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather said...

Stomach troubles are the worst! I actually get upset stomaches a lot, and especially if I ate something to close to when I run.

Dairy will always get my stomach bloated and uncomfortables. I would just try to remember what you ate that day and avoid it OR if you ate it again before a run to see if your stomach acted that way then you would know it was the culprit.


I'll be excited to hear if you end up doing a full marathong... a half is such a great accomplishment!

Lindsay said...

Oh no! Sorry to hear. Any chance it could just be a touch of stomach bug or something? Seems like everyone is coming down with something over this past week.

Hope you feel better soon!

Null said...

Ah, the runner's trots.

Hydration is a big culprit. This tends to happen to me when it's hot outside and/or I'm dehydrated.

Ice cream, artificial sweetner, or protein bars too close to a run will have the same effect on me.

Or you could just have some sort of mild stomach bug.

Not fun, but you know you're a true runner when you know where all the public bathrooms are around town.

Kristina @ spabettie said...

yikes! sorry, I hope whatever it is, it is over soon!

your banana soft serve looks great! I want to try Adora, but don't want to buy a CASE online... :/ boo!

Related Posts with Thumbnails