Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Addressing The Slump

Okay, okay, I have to admit it.  I've been in kind of a running, yoga, cooking, and um... do much of anything kind of slump lately.  I definitely blame most of it on trying to get pregnant, but some of the slump is just because of life in general being busy and feeling uninspired to do much else but try to get knocked up.

So let's see where we're at with these things.

Running
As much as I thought I could get back on the running band wagon and at least pound out a couple miles a week, I haven't run since NJ with my bro.  Yes, I'm still paranoid about rattling a seedling, if there is one in there, even though I swore I would try to get past it.  All the stuff you see about running and pregnancy says you can continue to run if you've been running, but doesn't encourage you to start running if you haven't been.  So now that I'm in this cycle of not running, it worries me that it'll potentially throw things off if I start, you know?  Also, I'm busy.  I've had a lot going on and encorporating running into my routine again would take some adjustment, now that I'm not prioritizing it and using a training plan like I was when I was training for races.  So the jury's still out on whether I'm really going to run much.  For now, while I'm on the fence, walking just seems to make more sense.  I can get exercise, but I know it's lower impact, Clyde can come with me, and it just works for me right now.  I do a pretty good long walk with Clyde about every day, and look forward to it.  Yes, I do miss running, but I can't help that I feel paranoid about it.

Yoga
Cost and paranoia are my reasons for my yoga dropping off as of late.  I had taken advantage of some great deals when my yoga studio opened and was spoiled by sub $5 classes for months.  Once my passes expired and the reality of $16 a class set in, I shied away and got too busy to go.  I also did some research on yoga while TTC and found some stuff on the fact that certain twists and moves can be bad, which scared me a little.  Luckily, I received this from Jen for my birthday:


I plan on trying this out really soon to get my yoga flow going again!

Cooking
I'm definitely doing better with cooking than running and yoga in terms of actually doing it.  Okay, so I had popcorn, a pear, and half a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios for dinner last night (hey, it sounded good!).  Usually I'm good about cooking though, I swear! Creativity is definitely down though, hence why I probably haven't been posting many recipes lately. 

Tonight I made a pretty delicious dinner.


This was a bed of Quinoa, with grilled veggies.

I LOVE kabobs, and when I surveyed my fridge for dinner tonight, I saw these babies looking at me:



Fresh peppers and zucchini!
I think they wanted to become my dinner...

I chopped them into big cubes, added some onion, then par-boiled them in some teriaki sauce/water in a covered casserole dish in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes to cook them slightly before grilling.


Then I tried to be all fancy and skewer them.


Ooooh la la.


Turns out that skewers don't do that great on the grill pan.  Without the flame from a real grill, it was hard to get them to cook right.  They ended up like this...


Served over a bed of Quinoa with a sprinkle of soy sauce.


Oh yeah.  Loved this :)

The bottom line is that my exercise has definitely changed a lot, and I'm aware of it.  I'm okay with it if the end result is a baby and hopefully it will be.  I'll try to keep moving, even if it's not like it was last year.  And I'll keep trying to eat more meals like this instead of Cheerios.  Sometimes Cheerios do hit the spot though!




6 comments:

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) said...

Grilled veggies are SO delicious. I need to make them soon!

I was paranoid about jogging in the beginning, too. I walked most of the 1st tri. I think you should do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Whirly Wife said...

Do what feel right to you when I was doing Yoga my instructor always said that you should not be there if you are pregnant and that there is special Yoga class for prego ladies so I hear you on the Yoga, with the rest do what feels right. Once you are a mommy you will learn to trust those instincts they are always right.

Null said...

No shame in taking break if you need it, but don't let pregancy stop you from exercising.

I was undergoing fertility treatments and the doctor still said light exercise was fine. Yoga was highly recommended for the stress relief component. Studies show it above 20 miles a week is where fertility starts be compromised in some women. I think a lot of women will agree the best way to bounce back from preganancy is to be fit before you get preganant.

alison said...

Everything in moderation is my moto. No marathon planning this year, no more long races this year. I plan on keeping up my running, nothing crazy though and I'm not breaking the land speed record.

As you know last year I did my first marathon. It was a great distraction from ttc, but eventually it kinda took over. I won't let that happen this year.

I asked my ivf doc about running more than once just to be sure. They say its fine until you start the shots, then limit to walking.

They talk a lot about being in a positive happy place. You have to do whats right for you and makes you happy. I'm a work in progress but I definately feel more at peace right now.

Marie said...

I was running around 50miles a week when I found out about being pregnant. Truth to be told, haven't run a step ever since... too much of a burden, the firt trimester is already kind of hard to be stressing about exercise.

Hope you get pregnant soon!

Jen said...

UGH, I am in the biggest workout slump too! I keep looking at my body and wondering who's it is b/c it can't be mine...

Related Posts with Thumbnails