Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving in Hilton Head

I hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving!

I arrived in Hilton Head Wednesday night in time for dinner with my parents, which went unphotographed.  We had pasta and salad, and may have tapped into my cheesecake a day early....   Hey, there's just the three of us (Greg is working), so might was well!

O.M.G.  This was SO GOOD!  The Pecan Sandies crust was a good call, and Paula's filling was orgasmic :)

Thursday morning we were all up bright and early so I could run the 10K Turkey Trot in Hilton Head.  It was actually a pretty big race.  They capped registration at 1,500 people and it sold out!  I was surprised and happy that I pre-registered :)

I had the typical pre-run breakfast with crunchy PB for a change:

My Mom, Dad, and I headed over to the race.

My spectators were armed with coffee and ready to cheer!

Gobble Gobble!

Pretty soon it was time to start.  There were no corrals, so it was just a big free for all and took a minute for the crowd to thin out, but eventually I got some space and got a rhythm going.

I found myself running at my race pace, in the low nines mostly.  I definitely pushed myself knowing this race was on the shorter side.

Here was the breakdown:

Mile 1: 8:59
Mile 2: 8:59
Mile 3: 9:00
Mile 4: 8:49
Mile 5: 8:48
Mile 6: 8:40

Not sure about the last bit since I forgot to turn of the Garmin at the finish, but my chip time was 55:29, so I had another personal record, breaking my 10K time by about 3 minutes.  :)  So I had an 8:57 pace, was 9th (out of 21) in my age/gender group.

Pay no attention to the fact that I look like a bobble head...
They actually had medals for all the finishers, which is pretty cool for a 10K!

We hung around the finish area for a bit and I drank water and had some tortilla chips and a banana.

Back at the house, we actually just kind of relaxed for a while.
We had some leftover pizza and salad for lunch.

In the afternoon, Mom, Clyde, and I went for a walk on the beach.
(My Dad stayed home to watch the Patriots)

Check out how warm it was!

The beach was surprisingly busy, we actually had to drive to a different beach parking area than the one we usually go to because the first was completely full!

This was Clyde's third day at the beach, and I think he's enjoying it more every time!

Clyde investigated this log after seeing a big dog pulling it from the water.
It was really gorgeous out and unbelievably warm!

Once back at the house we got started on THE BIG DINNER!

I got my apron and my game face on.

Mom got the turkey going.

We prepped all the food for a while, then actually went up to the (heated) pool for a pre-dinner float, with margaritas in water bottles of course!

Then it was time for dinner!

Guess who was VERY interested in the turkey...

He was actually really interested in the cheese for the mac and cheese too...

He got several samples...

We sat down to dinner.

I had some of everything.  There was mashed potato, sweet potato, green beans, stuffing, turkey, and mac and cheese, (also, unpictured cranberry sauce shaped like a can).

Soooooooooooooo delicious!!

Later we ended the day with some of my mom's apple tart.

It was a fantastic Thanksgiving!  I miss my hubby, but we're going to have our own little meal on Sunday when we're both home, and he was able to attend Thanksgiving with the guy he is flying with this month, so at least he wasn't alone.


Kelly said...

Yay for a new 10K PR! I wish our turkey trot had medals. Sadly, it did not. Looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Cheesecake freezes well if you were wondering how you were going to save me a piece. haha :)

Cassie said...

Yah! What a nice Thanksgiving!! Happy Thanksgiving!

Jen said...

Yay for a new PR! How awesome! I can't wait to see you achieve more PRs :) And I'm insanely jealous of your turkey day outfit. Here on the complete opposite side of SC, it was MUCH colder

Related Posts with Thumbnails