Thursday, November 18, 2010

An Update On Where I Go Next With Running

Well, I went on my first post half marathon run last night.  I decided to break out my new pair of Asics that I'd ordered and received a couple weeks ago, now that the half marathon was safely under my belt and I didn't have to worry as much that problems might occur while breaking in the new ones.


They look a little cleaner, huh?  The new ones were great- just as comfortable as the old ones.
I ran 3.75 miles in 37:49.

I have to admit, I'm a little sore from Sunday's race.  My left knee is bugging me a little and it has me slightly worried.  I tried to kind of take it easy and didn't push too hard on the run.  I also stretched and foam rolled after the run and iced the knee with a bag of peas.  I'm praying this doesn't turn into something worse.  I have a yoga class on the agenda tonight, and I'm hoping some more deep stretching will help it too.

Now for an update on what's next for my running.

You may remember that I debated whether to do a full marathon or not back in this post but never really made a decision, or shared it on the blog.
 What I decided was that I would keep training and see how things went.  Kind of anti-climactic, I know, hence why I didn't really post about it much after the initial debate. With my history of injury and my indecisiveness, it was easier for me to not make a decision and feel GLUED to that decision.

My strategy was that I picked a potential full marathon, which is the Charleston Marathon.  It's January 15, 2011.  I came up with a training plan and have been using that along with my half marathon training plan (using Runner's World Smart Coach), so I have kind of used a combination of the two.  Technically, right now I'm further than I needed to be distance-wise for the half.  I did two 12+ mile runs, and didn't need to do that much to be ready for that race.  For the full marathon, I am slightly behind, in terms of distance, according to the marathon training plan (I should probably be closer to 16 miles at this point on long runs).

The fact that I'm a little behind on my marathon training actually doesn't worry me though.  The training plan I'm following has me doing three 20 mile runs, and I have already decided I'm not doing that many 20 milers.  Multiple running friends have assured me it's not necessary and may make me more prone to injury to do that many, which I think is a distinct possibility looking at my knee issues.  I may do two 20 mile runs or maybe just one.  We'll see.  In any case, I should have time to get at least one or two in.

The other reason I haven't committed yet, is that I still have yet to run more than a half marathon distance.  I really want to see how I hold up on runs longer than that.  This weekend should be my first test of that.

I've made peace with the idea of training in darkness and cold though, and I actually got a good deal on a three month gym membership to fall back on in case I need to use a treadmill, which was one of my initial concerns (access to a treadmill).

So I pretty much feel comfortable saying that barring any serious issues, I plan on running the Charleston Marathon!
I will keep you posted on how things go :)

In the meantime, I'm planning to do a Turkey Trot in Hilton Head next week, and possibly the Thunder Road Half Marathon in Charlotte in December.


Last night was a little rushed because I had a little neighborhood party to attend.  I quickly put together my go to meal lately- another batch of chili/Mexican soup.  I'd say this week's batch was more Mexican style soup (more liquid), but they share a lot of the same ingredients.  I can't get enough of chili or soup lately!  It's so warm and comforting.  Addicted!


In this batch:
-one small onion
-1/2 yellow pepper
-1/2 roasted red pepper
-one carrot
-a couple shakes of cumin and chili pepper
-one can of diced tomatoes (with juice)
-1/2 can butternut squash
-1 cup chicken stock
-1 can rinsed black beans
-handful of chopped cilantro
-some crumbled tortilla chips
-shredded cheddar on top

Mmmmm, so good :)

I went to my friend Summer's house for a candle/jewelry party.  I really didn't need candles or jewelry, but  Summer lives in my neighborhood and I don't see her much with our busy schedules, so I thought it would be nice to socialize with her and some of our other neighbors, since Greg and I are fairly certain we're known as the least social people in our neighborhood.  
I walked out with a candle ordered, but I was able to restrain myself from the jewelry!  It was good to see and chat with Summer.

On another note, I rarely share breakfast unless it's the weekend and I've gotten creative.  Most days I alternate between some version of oatmeal or a green monster smoothie.  Nothing too exciting or blog-worthy.  Today, I wanted to change up my smoothie though.  

I bring you- The Almond Joy Smoothie!


In the mix:

-Handful of ice
-1/2 banana
-handful of spinach
-1 teaspoon of coconut butter
-1 teaspoon almond butter
-1 scoop chocolate protein powder
-1/4 cup oats
-teaspoon of chia seeds
-1 cup of milk

Seriously tasted like drinkable almond joy!  Score :)

Anyone else have any new smoothie concoctions I should try? 
I'm trying to break out of the green monster rut!

Have a good day everyone!!

9 comments:

Sana said...

Go get that 26.2!!!!
I think anyone can run a marathon, they just have to train smart and not be injured :)
Oh and love running!

Jen (She said.She said.) said...

Yay you on committing to a marathon! You will do great. I will live vicariously through your experience to make a decision on mine. :)

Heather said...

So exciting to have decided on your marathon! I think it's a great idea to tag it onto your half mary training...you just have to keep going. I debated on a spring full, but I have my doubts as to whether I'd hold up running in the dark and cold weather or even find enough hours in the day. Good luck1

Kelly said...

I'm so glad you're making it official! I need some company for the next umpteen long runs so I don't go crazy and start talking to myself (more than usual). You're going to do great! You'll see!

As for smoothies, I'm sure you've tried a pumpkin smoothie by now, but I found out this morning that the addition of ground cloves makes it AH-mazing! ~1/8 tsp is all you need.

Amy said...

Good luck in your training! I am definitely doing the Charleston Half and thought about the full but don't think I'll have the time to train. Hopefully your training goes well!

Anonymous said...

My fingers are super-crossed that your knee holds up. I'll be there cheering you on in Charleston :)

stephie said...

Hope you have fun as you train!

I'm finally delurking to share a Chanel giveaway I'm organizing this month, do feel free to take a look:
http://www.stephiesays.com/?p=4024

RunningOnCoffee said...

Good luck with your training!

What kind of blender do you use and does it handle ice well? I'm looking for one that doesn't sound like it's dying when I put ice in it.

Jen said...

I love your marathon plan - I think it's great not to put too much pressure on yourself, especially if you have history of injury.

Even though you're a little behind on training I think you will be fine since you have such a strong base from half-marathon training.

Good luck and can't wait to follow along! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails