Friday, November 12, 2010

A Bustling Day Off

Well, my day off was wonderful.  I woke up with no alarm clock and cuddled in bed with Clyde for about an hour.  Excessive?  Maybe, but hey, we had to get in a LOT of cuddling yesterday since I'm not going to see him til Monday!  My heart dies a little just thinking of three entire days and nights away from my baby...

I finally shuffled downstairs and contemplated my breakfast options.  I chose something kind of unusual.  
Behold, the one-eyed-sandwich. 

I think most people call these "bird-in-a-nest" or something, but my dad used to make these for me when I was little and called them "one-eye-sandwiches".  I think he just liked to come up with his own name for things.  He also made me grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches and called them "The Big Bird Special".  Healthy right?  This is probably why my mom did most of the cooking...

I've actually never made this for myself before and really just winged it.  I used to slices of Great Harvest Dakota bread, cut holes in the middle, buttered the bread (both sides), put it on the skillet and then dropped eggs in and flipped.

They came out pretty good, with slightly runny/velvety yolks to dip the bread edges into.

I also had coffee with frothy milk and a shot of chocolate syrup.

Next up on my agenda (while two loads of laundry were going) was to revise my running playlist for the half marathon.  I get sick of my playlists very easily, so I knew that added some stuff would help me when I'm in need of new motivation during the race.  I added mainly 80's Madonna and The Cure.  I found this section on ITunes with 69 cent songs and there were actually a bunch of good ones.  I also got some 90's tunes such as Naughty By Nature (O.P.P!). and The Humpty Dance.  Classic...  Definitely check out the 69 cent song area if you haven't already.  There are some good classic songs to be had for cheap!

I set out to test out the playlist and get in one last training run.  I did 3.75 miles.  It was actually REALLY warm out by the time I went, around 11:30am.  I could have run in a tank top and been comfortable.  I forget my time and the Garmin is packed now, but the run wasn't for time anyway, it was just to keep me current for this weekend.

Back at the house I foam rolled and also iced just as a precaution since my race is so close now!

For lunch I had a tuna melt with tomato and spinach and a side salad with balsamic.  I even ate outside it was so warm!  :)

Then it was time to create something truly spectacular:
Mama Pea's version of Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Balls.

If you are like me, and not vegan, I made a couple changes/substitutions based on what I had and I want to assure you they still tasted delicious: 

-I used Smart Balance margarine instead of Earth Balance
-I used a cup and a half of regular all purpose flour
-I only used chocolate chips (I didn't have peanut butter chips)

Wow, are these good!  Mama Pea joked that someone proposed marriage to her after making and trying these and I can see why!  I think I will be adding them to my Christmas cookie boxes this year :)

Post cookie orgasm, I rushed out to run a couple errands and get my hair cut and highlighted.  It took a long time and I didn't get home til about 8:30pm, which kind of rattled me, because I had a LOT to do last night to get ready for my trip this weekend.  I went into crazy packing mode, and somehow fit in cooking up a giant pot of veggie chili so my hubby will have something to eat while I'm gone when he gets home tomorrow.

"Everything in My Veggie Drawer Chili":

One onion, chopped.
Two random peppers (I think banana??) from a co-worker, chopped.
1-2 carrots, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons EVOO
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 tablespoon of chili pepper
salt and pepper
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can of water
2-3 tablespoons of chipotle sauce
1/2 cup diced white mushrooms (had to get rid of them!)
1 1/2 cups of baked butternut squash cubes ( I had roasted some the night before for dinner)
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans

Sautee onions, peppers, carrots in EVOO a couple minutes til softened.  Add spices.  Add tomatoes and water and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.  Add everything else and simmer another 15 minutes.

Top with cheddar and plain yogurt.  Serve with tortilla chips. 


I hope to get in some posting this weekend while I'm away, but don't know if time will allow.
If not, expect to be bombarded with posts early next week and a recap of my second half marathon!!


Cassie said...

Good luck with your second half marathon!!

I love the egg breakfast. My dad used to make them for me, and I still ask for them, he calls them "Bullseye"

Brings back some memories for me :-D

Ashley and Nate said...

Aww... I love the breakfast. I had never seen that before until I saw directions in a magazine for it. The one I found has you take a cookie cutter and cut out a fun shape from the toast. I had forgotten about that breakfast until you wrote about it. :) Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails