Sunday, November 28, 2010

Successful Seventeen!

Saturday morning I did my long run in Hilton Head.
I set out to get in 17 miles, which would be a new personal distance record for me (my previous was last weekend's 15 miles).

Though Thursday and Friday were warm, Saturday morning was cold in in the 40s.  I suited up in my Lululemon crop pants, a long sleeve tech shirt, and fleece vest.

I set up water, Gatorade, and some Shot Blocks at my parents house so I could loop back and fuel every 5-7 miles, to help break up the run.




For the first loop I got in 7 miles before heading back to fuel.  I figured that would help to know I only had 10 miles left.  I popped a couple Shot Blocks, had some gulps of Gatorade and water, then headed out for the next 5 mile loop.






Though the scenery was gorgeous as usual, this was the worst of the three "laps".  I was feeling lower back pressure again (I always seem to get it on my long runs now), and these 5 miles felt really labored and tough.  I was far enough into the run that it was taking its toll, but still had a lot more to go.  I think part of the struggle was mental.


I found my mom taking a walk in the last mile, and opted to walk that mile with her back to the house.
Before setting out on my last loop, I actually stretched a bunch and then took in more fuel.


The last 5 miles weren't actually too bad.  I think the stretching helped, and I also had renewed enthusiasm knowing I would be hitting a personal distance record and was almost done.






Success!


The breakdown:

Mile 1: 9:45
Mile 2: 9:58
Mile 3: 10:15
Mile 4: 10:20
Mile 5: 10:21
Mile 6: 10:08
Mile 7: 10:09
Took first fuel break.
Mile 8: 10:40
Mile 9: 10:15
Mile 10: 10:21
Mile 11: 10:09
Mile 12: 12:36 (walked with my mom)
Took second fuel break.
Mile 13: 11:21
Mile 14: 9:56
Mile 15: 10:15
Mile 16: 10:02
Mile 17: 10:27

Under 3 hours, including the walk in mile 12!  I was definitely tired, but not too terrible.  I showered, had lunch, and then my mom and I did the perfect post long run activity.  Went to a movie, so I could sit and relax!  We saw Morning Glory, and it was really cute :) 

I was also able to easily polish off half a large popcorn by myself without much remorse, as I had just RUN 17 MILES!  :)  The benefits of marathon training. 

 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW - 17 miles?!
Congratulations, girl!
That was a GREAT run :D

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I'm glad you stretched out so the last part of the run was bearable :) Go you!

Anonymous said...

Way to go!!!
Sorry I missed you over the holiday.
Alison

Anonymous said...

i loved morning glorly! harrison ford stole the show

RunningOnCoffee said...

Congrats on your 17 miles!! And at such a great pace!!

Anonymous said...

thanks amigo! great post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails