Sunday, June 6, 2010

Kelly's Wedding Shower

In addition to my half-marathon, I also had another big event yesterday, Kelly's Wedding Shower yesterday evening.  Her wedding is coming up in August.  Her maid of honor asked me if I'd help her throw a lingerie shower for Kelly, and of course I agreed to help out.  I actually ended up being in charge of food and favors.  At first I was a little overwhelmed by the idea knowning I was running a half marathon the same day, but quickly got to work on planning a menu and coming up with a plan.  I immediately decided I'd take Friday off to prep for the race and for the shower since I had so much going on.  I figured that would greatly help my sanity and allow me to get some sleep before the big day.  Good decision. I had all day to assemble and prep my food and even took my time.  I also quickly decided I'd make all cold food, nothing that had to be heated or kept warm, to keep things simpler.  I also think that was a good decision.
Here was the menu:
-cheese and crackers (four kinds of cheese, two kinds of crackers)
-fresh cut veggies (green beans, carrots, brocolli, celery, and cucumber) with spinach veggie dip. 
-homemade hummus with sundried tomato and artichoke hearts in it and pita chips.
-mini caprese salad- tooth picks with a mini mozzerella ball, basil leaf, and grape tomato on each one (this was my favorite thing, I was proud of that idea :)
-pasta salad with roasted red pepper, artichoke hearts, and feta and vinegrette
-creamy pasta salad made with a mix of reduced fat mayo and plain non-fat yogurt, dill, and cucumbers.
-plain chicken salad
-tuscan style chicken salad with sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and olives. 
-crossaints (to have the chicken salad on)


The pasta salads

My mini Caprese salads!
The veggies and dip, and hummus and pita chips.

Kelly's aunt made a fantastic cake.  She's making Kelly's wedding cake.  So tasty! 
Candace (Kelly's maid of honor) provided wines, lemon water, and lemonade.  One of the wines was actually made by a friend of her and her husbands and was really fruity and tasty.  And 12% alcohol.  One glass for me before I switched to water!

We did the obligatory games.  These ones were actually original, I hadn't played any at a shower before.  We all had to write down a piece of advice for Kelly.  Then the silly game- we had to design underwear for Kelly and she had to try it on (over her clothes).

She was a good sport about it :)
Then she opened her presents.
I believe a good time was had by all.
I reminded everyone to take some sachets on their way out. I made them as favors by using little purple pouches I got at Michaels and filling each one with some potpourri. Greg helped me print the tags using the address label setting on the computer, on purple cardstock. Then I cut them out with scrapbooking scissors to make the scalloped edges. Pretty cute, right?


We had a LOT of food leftover.  I think I got a little out of control at the prospect of being responsible for all the food.  Luckily I'm meeting some friends for a picnic outside tonight and sent them all an email telling them I'd supply most of the food!

1 comments:

Jen said...

Kelly's shower looks like so much fun! You did a wonderful job on the food!

Related Posts with Thumbnails