Thursday, June 3, 2010

Quad Problems

Last night I met Jen and Michelle at the trail as scheduled for our last run before the half marathon.  The sky was ominous as storms were forming and we knew we might not get very far.  We were planning on doing our usual 5 miler.  We headed off on the trail determined to get something in.  My blister, thankfully, felt fine after taping it the same way I had for tennis the other night.  At about a mile and a half in, we realized 5 miles was looking ambitious for the weather.  We decided we'd go to 2 miles and turn around for a full 4 miles.  Which sounded good to me, as I was having yet another crappy run.  Most concerning was soreness in my left leg in the quad area.  I told the girls and Jen stopped me to try stretching it.  It helped a little, but I could still feel it.  We finished the run just as the sky let loose and we ran directly to our respective cars to high tail out of the storm. 
Once home, I took a bath.  We have a jetted tub, and I was hoping maybe the jet on my quad would help some.  I then made Greg and I a quick dinner- taco salad.  I sauteed half a block of chopped tempeh, onion, and green pepper.  Added cumin and chili pepper, then black beans and some salsa.  Served over lettuce with a little extra salsa, some plain non-fat yogurt, and some raw mushroom (I was going to cook the mushroom but forgot!).  Tortilla chips on the side. 

After dinner I iced my quad with a bag of peas.  Nothing really helped.  I also rubbed some icy hot on it before bed.  I'm worried.  Very worried.  I was hoping I would wake up this morning and the soreness would be gone, but it's still there.  I'm feeling it going up and down stairs big time.  Ughhhhhhhhh!  I will keep resting and icing it and see what I can do, but I'm very fearful about how this is going to effect my race.  :(  Runners- any advice??

2 comments:

Jen said...

I hate that it doesn't feel better!

Here's an article about IT band syndrome: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7124,s6-241-290-291-2861-0,00.html

Here's a link to IT band relief yoga from Runner's World: http://www.runnersworld.com/video/1,8052,s6-1-0-5,00.html?bcpid=2888993001&bclid=1504353751&bctid=68928548001

Try laying on a tennis ball. Ugh I hope you feel better :(

Null said...

Luckily you're in the taper now. Keep doing what you're doing...ice, massage, and rest. Do some walking ot stay loose this week. Also take some ibuprofen to reduce any inflammation.

Combined with the adreneline on race day, you should be ready to kick some butt.

Related Posts with Thumbnails